Pages

25 May 2015

#52Ancestors - Week 22 - Commencement

Week 22 (May 28 – June 3) – Commencement: Countless schools will be having their commencement ceremonies around this time. Think not only about school, but also about commencement meaning “a beginning.”

According to Plato:
The beginning is the most important part of the work.
(www.brainyquote.com)

So, "Let's start at the very beginning" - or the beginning as I have currently found it. This week I want to talk about where it all began for the Martin Farley families.

Who was the very first Martin, the first Farley, the first Dempsey and the first Dobson?

On some of my lines I don't go back many years. I am yet to embark on any Irish research, so when I meet an ancestor from Ireland there my current journey ends.

But let's have a look anyway

Dad's side - Martins and Dempseys

The first Martin I have met is Joseph Martin. He is my great-great-great grandfather, born in Ireland. His wife, my great-great-great grandmother, was Elizabeth Smith. Joseph and Elizabeth only make an appearance on the death record of James Martin, my g-g-grandfather. Joseph and Elizabeth don't appear to have ever left Ireland.

The first Dempsey I have a real record for is Thomas Dempsey my great-great grandfather. He too was born in Ireland around 1835. His parents are variously listed as Patrick Dempsey and Mary McAuley (on Thomas' death record) or Thomas Dempsey and Mary Collie or Colly (on his marriage record). Again it doesn't appear as if my g-g-g-grandparents ever left Ireland.

Mum's side - Farleys and Dobsons. The Farley and Dobson families have a much longer history in the UK

The first Farleys on my list are Charles Farley and Ann Langley my great-great-great-great-great-grandparents born about 1760 and from the East Preston area of Sussex

And lastly, the first Dobsons I have found are Thomas Dobson and Frances Strong, again they are my great-great-great-great-great grandparents born about 1760 in the Durham England area.

So that's it, my beginnings.





No comments:

Post a Comment