Pages

2 March 2015

#FearlessFemales - Day 1 - favourite female ancestor

As if I didn't have anything better to do with my time - what with a full-time job, 2 volunteer treasurer positions and a weekly blog for the #52Ancestors Challenge, I have decided to take Lisa Azlo's Fearless Females challenge for the Month of March as well.

Lisa has posted some blogging prompts which I hope will inspire me to be creative in writing about my female ancestors. The Accidental Genealogist

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up the whole month, so for these posts, March might extend through to May, June or even July!

March 1 — Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check.

My favourite female ancestor would have to be Rosana McLuckie - my great great grandmother. I wrote about the McLuckies for the #52Ancestors challenge and likely will do so again throughout the year. For this post however, and so as to not detract from that other challenge, I thought I'd meet someone who could be a new favourite ancestor: Roseanna McLuckie Hunter, my favourite Rosana's namesake and grand-daughter.

What do I know about Roseanna?
  1. She was born on March 20, 1906 in Hutchesontown Glasgow Scotland
  2. At the time of her birth her family lived at 480 South Wellington Street Glasgow Scotland
  3. On the 1911 census she was apparently going to school and the family was living at 638 Garscube Road Glasgow Scotland
  4. She is one of the at least 6 children of Alexander Hunter and Margaret Carroll
  5. She is my first cousin twice removed (first cousin of my grandfather)
South Wellington Street and Garscube Road are streets familiar to my Scottish ancestors - a number of other families lived on them across the years.

What goals to I have for Roseanna?
  • See if there are any school records once I can work out what school might have been near that address on Garscube Road in 1911
  • Find out whether she got married or had a family
  • Find out where she ended up (did she remain in Glasgow, migrate etc?)
  • Find out when she passed away
They don't seem to be big goals, but as I haven't found the answers to them yet, it could be quite the exercise.

I'm not setting a timeline of when I'll get this finished, but hopefully it will be something I can tick off my list during "THE BIG GENEALOGY TRIP" at the end of this year when I head to Scotland.



No comments:

Post a Comment